Monday, October 15, 2007

Fleming: Can Pictures be Arguments?

Throughout Fleming's ramblings of research, I found myself quickly overwhelmed and annoyed by his overanalysis of the term argument and what that term entails. Much as pictures are ambiguous, as discussed in his paper, so too I think are arguments. He discusses the difference between influence and argument, and concludes that picture cannot, independent of language, be an argument. Despite his heavy research, I still disagree. There are very powerful, convincing, and life-changing images that have consumed American culture and affected the way we think as a culture. Why does their have to be a rigid distinction, then, between argument and influence? I believe that images come with a certain amount of argument which the viewer then internalizes and analyzes, building its own set of powerful qualities which then have the ability to influence our opinions and behaviors.

No comments: