Monday, October 8, 2007

Eisenstein: Defying the Initial Shift

To be honest, a lot of what Eisenstein speaks of is so wordy and dated that I find myself a bit overcome and disconnected from the text. There were a few moments that stuck out to me as very interesting and ground-breaking. For instance, the discussion of the rivalries in printing is pretty entertaining. I don't know if it's because I assume that in its early stages, printing would be highly limited and thereby not competitive, yet clearly my assumptions were incorrect. Also, the idea that for so long handwork and presswork were indistinguishable despite innovations in the field show a couple of things. One, that quality and preservation were highly valued and, two, that innovations don't always mean celebrating change. Finally, the sentiment of a communication revolution was discussed, and this section made its strongest points for me because it seems the most easily understood. Of course these big changes and developments in the field are going to amount to a revolution, so people might as well embrace the idea and run with it.

No comments: